Three On A Match
-- : Third on a match. Meaning: bad luck.

Workin it
O'Reilly's Boxing Gym 

Open
late morning
Evan Saaranen Offline
Bear Shifter
Reden

Evan took a slow deep breath as he looked at the hanging bag in front of him. His fingers clenched and unclenched into his palms. The track from his noise cancelling headphones started, a funkalicious beat starting to play into his ears. Evan shifted his shoulders a bit as his head started bobbing up in down to time with the music. Weird but no matter how hyped the rhythm got he never felt like funk was gonna make him shift unexpectedly, unlike some of the metal he used to listen to while working out.

Evan slowly raised his hands up and then stepped side to side in a classic boxer's bob.

Was he good?

Yeah, yeah he was good.

Evan started off light, quick jabs into the bag over and over again. His hands were wrapped up but that extra padding was pretty much ritual at this point that helpful. His hands healed so fast that the normal stuff didn't really matter. Hell he could probably punch rock until his hands were paste and he would- oh wait wait wait! This part is fire.

“We're gonna have a good time, my people coming closer. We're gonna have a good time, a good good tiiiiiime~” Evan diddn't really register he was singing as he stepped side to side catching the bag over and over again with his hands.

Strike 8d6
4 passes

Evan slammed his hand into the bag, a hard straight after all his small quick jabs. The bag almost rippled at the force and the chain it hung from creaked loudly. After the hit, Evan shuffled his feet to the groove of the music even as the song came to a close.

Yeah, he was good right now.
Malik Cartwright Offline
Arcanist Human
Conjurer
Every motion made was a waltz with an invisible partner. Every turn and reposition a greeting. Every lunge a potential strike. Every dodge and perry, a chance to save his own life.

It went on like this for an hour. Here he was safe to do so. Not so much when the real things happened. After looking around to see if it was safe to do so, he dragged out the training dummy. He put away the training rapier and unlocked the metal case with the Bronze Needle.

Mac loving stroked the bronze and crimson rapier. It gave off a lifeless inorganic feel. Designed like a 3D printed weapon with brutalist aesthetics. The blade was thinly twisted to a needle-like point. It was made at a time when he had arrogance to do so.

If only she saw me now, he thought as he took the blade out of the case. He put his gear back on and repositioned himself in front of the dummy. Not wasting any time, he poked and stabbed at the dummy making sure to go for eyes, chest, and abdomen. He spun around the dummy aiming for the back of the head, neck and lower back.

Strike, melee, Complete Success

He was able to get in a few pokes. Not perfect. But effective. At least in what he was attempting to do. He let out an exhale as he saw the fruits of his labor finally coming together. He went to go get the heavier striking dummies, only to realize that his arm ran out of juice.

“ I thought, I charged you…” he sighed.

His mind then wandered over to the sound of a person singing. He left the small mirrored room to peek outside. To his amusement, a large man was really getting into his workout.

“ Hey I don’t mean to break your workout, ” he began “, but could you help me real fast moving the training pads, I’d do it but I got to charge this? ” Mac disconnected the mechanical arm and held it up for the man to see.
Evan Saaranen Offline
Bear Shifter
Reden
Evan shuffled his feet and ducked and weaved, imagining fists or kicks coming at him. He used to dodge a lot but he had always been a big guy. Instinct, the new ones, also told him to start just tanking hits. Fact was bears were slabs of meat that usually just bulled through everything and subconsciously he wanted to do the same now. What would stop him from doing something so dumb while in his human form? Practice. Put in the time and work to break instinct with muscle memory. Evan slid forward quickly and did a quick jab that he pulled last second. He had a fine sheen of sweat on him now but still wasn't particularly tired. That was something else about his new condition... he was considering what to do next when he saw someone approach him.

Evan reached up and tugged out his earbud, giving the guy a big friendly grin. “You're all good, what's up?” Evan said. He didn't mind the interruption. he liked talking to people. When the guy pulled off his mechanical arm, Evan raised his eyebrows in surprise but nodded along. “No problem man, what are we moving?” Evan asked as he walked over. He hoped whatever needed to be moved wasn't too heavy. He doubted anything in this gym was too heavy for him but he'd been avoiding the weights specifically to avoid the attention his new strength could draw.
Malik Cartwright Offline
Arcanist Human
Conjurer
Mac pointed to the larger Striking Dummies. They were larger and more muscular than the usual. All of them weighing over 40 pounds and were harder to knock around. He hated asking for help with these sort of things, but he knew he would have been there forever if he attempted to set things up by himself. And there were about 10 of which he had to set up.

He walked over to the wall outlet and plugged the arm up. It was going to be awhile before it was fully charged, enough time to get his training in and finishing. Luckily for him, he only needed one arm. Instead he focused on the lighter training pads, taking them down, and putting them away.

“ Thanks ya, ” he began “, the hardest part of training seems to be the setting up and tearing down part.” After a quick clean up of the lighter training equipment he rebandaged his other hand, reattached the electrical cord to his wristband and through his jacket, and harnessed himself. He then added 10 pound weights to his arm and legs. He looked over at the larger man who was kind enough to him. There was something about him that was familiar. Something he couldn’t put his finger on.

“ Stupid question,” he continued “, but are you…like famous for something…?”
Evan Saaranen Offline
Bear Shifter
Reden
Evan was super careful about lifting the dumby. He made sure to flex his arms and make a small grunt of effort to show that it... took effort. Which it didn't. Evan could have moved this thing one handed and not batted an eye. Which was cool, no lie he had like superhero strength now and that was dope. Hiding it less so. He sat down the dummy then ran the back of his hand over his head, because that was something people did after exerting themeslves. Totally. For sure... yeah....

“I hear ya. Lots of prep work, and if you're having a light day if can feel like you do more for that than actually working out.” Evan agreed. He'd had a lot of days like that back when he was human. More human. Whatever, he knew what he meant in his head. Then the guy was kind of... watching him. Evan worried he hadn't done a good job hiding his strength or had done something bear-ish and given himself away. Oh shite oh shite oh shite. Then the guy just asked if he was famous or something.

Oh sweet jeebas thank christ. It was just that.

Evan nervously smiled and ran his hand through his short hair. “Ah... um yeah. I guess. I was a minor pro in MMA pretty recently- if you follow that at all. Went by Ever.” he said.

Honestly Evan had loved the life, but hadn't thought of it much in the last year or two with everything that had happened. Like getting thrown into witness protection, but with more monsters and less walkie talkies.
Malik Cartwright Offline
Arcanist Human
Conjurer
“ Ever…Ever…” he muttered to himself. The name sounded familiar. Mac continued what he was doing marking the floor with tape. He made sure to mark off the places for the drill. He had to become faster at what he was doing. Faster with his tools. Be able to protect himself, others, and also his place. No room for error. No one is coming to fix his mistakes. Mistakes…MMA. A lightbulb went off.

“ Oh right, MMA, you knocked my Boyfriend out. ” Mac laughed “, well ex-boyfriend, we broke up after that fight…” Mac continued to laugh hard, almost needing to take a few minutes to catch his breath. He wheezed a bit before containing himself.

“ I remember it was the main event, he was just talking about how it was going to be his big break, ” Mac continued “, but then it was literally his big break cause you really broke a few bones…dude you were awesome. Was kind of rooting for you, not rooting for you. But did put money on you. ” Mac finished putting things together before putting the rest of his gear on.

“ What I loss in horrible boyfriend, I gained in money, but seriously how have you been? ”
Evan Saaranen Offline
Bear Shifter
Reden
Evan raised an eyebrow, partly because he forgot how cool it was being recognized for what he used to do. This guy didn't seem like a gushing fan or anything but it was still neat. When he mentioned Evan knocked out an ex the blonde man winced just a touch. “Ah, um... sorry?” but as the other man continued talking Evan got the quick impression that it really wasn't that big of a deal. Evan kind of got it though, MMA had a lot of ego involved. Himself included if he was being brutally honest.

Evan had trouble remembering who this guy might have been. He wasn't really proud of it or anything but he'd broken two legs, three fingers, and one arm in his time in the ring. Only one of those had been his and his finger still looked like it was at a funny angle when he glanced at it. He used to think how hard he could hit was really impressive. After his change... now he really COULD hit like a truck and it didn't make him feel tough. Just made him scared he would hurt someone. Like moving through a world of cardboard.

“I'm glad your not in the red from it all then. I don't do a lot of fighting now. I went back to school for psychology.” he said, not sure why he felt like sharing. He honestly didn't like psych that much either to be honest but it was good to understand and try to apply the stuff he learned. Well, tried to learn. Evan glanced at the gear the man was putting on and raised an eyebrow. “So what are you training for...um?” Evan ended in a question when he realized he didn't know the guy's name.
Malik Cartwright Offline
Arcanist Human
Conjurer
“Fuck,” he said opening up the other training swords “,you were amazing when I saw your last fight…God how long ago was that?” He reconnected the wiring through the hilt to the button at the end of the blade. He turned on the tracker with his foot. The machine let out a loud beep before resting silently. Mac then pushed the button down on his foot, with the machine letting out a small beep.

“ Great, that's calibrated” he continued “, but going back to school, being a psych major, that’s also cool…I was a computer science major, engineer minor when I left. ” He then realized he never introduced himself. Especially when Ever went to call him by a name.

“ I’m Mac, the guy you wrecked called himself…the Bully…loud mouth, tall, looks like an Italian Mama’s boy but made of muscle, ” he laughed.

“ Oh and I fence to stay in shape, ” he said. With his foot, he flipped the epee up in the air before catching it. He got himself in a stance and then made a few strikes.

Strike, melee, Complete Success

Again, he was able to get in a few pokes. Not perfect. But effective. The rapid strikes came and went. The dummy pushed backwards slightly. Not enough to represent any damage or anything significant. Nothing that anyone would find impressive. He had a long way to go. The machine went off with several hits. He looked at the meter and griminced. It worked at least.

“ At least you’re working…” he sighed. He turned to Evan who gave him the look that he had gotten from so many others.

“ Ey’, ” he began “, would you like to try? ” Mac handed the training sword to Evan .

“ Big guy like you might actually be better than me, ”
Evan Saaranen Offline
Bear Shifter
Reden
Evan Strike 8d6: Exceptional Success (6/5)
Strike roll made to guard and dodge for himself

Evan's face lit up suddenly as he remembered the opponent in question. “Riiiight, Bull. I do remember him. He hit like a truck on roids but he had no footwork and never really watched for kicks. He just assumed everyone was gonna rush forward like he did. Nice enough guy when you could get him to stop talking about himself.” Evan said, trying to be charitable. Actually he'd thought 'the bully' was nice enough back then only because Evan had been just as egotistical. But now that he thought about it the guy- and himself- had probably just been similar types of assholes. Also after that fight Evan couldn't really remember Bull ever talking to him again. Guess he took the fight as a sore point.

When the guy offered up a sword to Evan the man frowned. “I appreciate it Mac- wow that line makes me sound like a mobster- but I'm not really about swords and stuff. Tell you what though. Let's do a bit of practice work, you work on your hit and I'll work on my bob and weave.” Evan offered as a compromise.

He took a couple steps back and tensed his feet a few times before settling on the balls of them. He wasn't willing to try and hit Mac since that could get someone hurt but he was pretty fast (more than ever for obvious reasons) and he was willing to bet he could put up a good show of himself. Or not which was fine too. It was about the work out more than anything else.

Evan Luck 4/4
Not planning on real combat but worth tossing it in
Malik Cartwright Offline
Arcanist Human
Conjurer
Mac Strike 4vsDC6, Miss

Mac didn’t argue with Evan. Instead, he set the alarm and gathered himself. In his head he planned out how he was going to approach. How fast he needed to move. Tried to remember something from watching Bully getting his head knocked in.

Mac nodded as he put his mask over his head. He got into his stance. Left foot turned perpendicular to his right foot. He straightened his back, relaxing his shoulders, and letting his Epee stiffen towards his sparring partner. Mac tightened his fingers around the pistol grip. Without hesitation he dashed towards Evan. First thrust, he hit the first dummy. Second thrust, parried off the one on his right. Third, thrust missing Evan, but hitting the other dummy. Mac was able to hit the other targets, but not Evan. He was fast, too fast for Mac to keep up.

Time Stop, Return to Place

His alarm went off. Mac let out a sigh and bowed, before returning back to his original spot. A slight groan escaped his lips.

“ Damn you’re fast dude, ” He said restarting the alarm “, I can see why he had trouble keeping up with you. ” Mac readied himself again, making sure the sword went up.

“ Oh and don’t hesitate, ” he continued “, I might not look it, but Bull and I roughhoused…and I’ve had to fight guys off for a living. ”

Mac’s Luck: 4/4

First to Tire out or Down the Other Wins?
Evan Saaranen Offline
Bear Shifter
Reden
Evan Strike 8d6: Exceptional Success (8 vs DC2)

Punches Pulled- no intended Luck Damage

Evan moved and swayed against the longer reach of Mac. The rapier or whatever was interesting. It couldn't be used like a jab or cross punch. Instead he thought of it like a super long arm.

Evan kept his feet moving and his knees bent, and when that strike came at him he twisted slightly and leaned back. The epee missed him but he could already tell that if he snapped out his own arm he would be too far off to hit back.

Mac reset his position and complimented Evan. Evan smiled but didn't have much too it. This felt... unfair. Not because of speed or power bur because Evan suspected he could tale that sword through the chest and power through just fine. Infact his more... bear side said that was the best move. Power through, slap down the attacker open palm, and then stomp them with his front paws.

Evan ignored the impulse since it didn't apply to him as he was a human and not a bear.

“Thank you. I try to stay in shape.” Evan said seriously.

He took his stance again and this time moved in fast, a wide forward step with his head low to avoid the epee or just take it on the arm if needed. Then he started with a quick one two punch... both of which he pulled last second to not actually hit.

The idea of hitting a person now... it really did scare him.

Luck 4/4
Malik Cartwright Offline
Arcanist Human
Conjurer
Mac Strike 4vsDC6, Miss
Charm: Metal Sculpt

Mac was pushed to his limits. The thing about dummies, unless programmed to, don't dodge. Speed meant nothing if he couldn't follow his opponent. And his movements needed to be as sharp, swift, and coordinated. At that moment he wasn't. There was a time he could match Bull with his speed, not so much in this moment. Mac continued his parries and thrusts, but nothing was reaching.

That's when it happened.

He felt something. Something coming at him fast. This wasn't like Bull at all. And there was a fear that followed him. It was quick. Everything in him switched from offense to defense. His reaction was quick. He grounded himself and turned the guard towards Evan's fist. He felt the sizzle of the blade in his hand. The metal curled and changed with studs lining the guard. He didn't realize he was doing it until he stood there facing against Evan's fist. He wasn't fast enough to get his guard up.

Instinctually he dropped the sword. He was dazed.

Time Stop, Return to Place

His alarm went off. Mac let out another sigh and bowed, before returning back to his original spot. He took off his mask and crack his fingers. He was breathing heavy. It was going to take longer to get where he needed to be. Especially after everything he encountered.

“ That, ” He said breathing heavy “, was.... scar awesome, really...” He collapsed on the floor laughing nervously.

“ I got a long way to go, ” he continued “, where did you learn to be that quick?”

Mac’s Luck (Emotionally): 2/4

Evan's Win
Evan Saaranen Offline
Bear Shifter
Reden
Evan's rush was fast. He knew that. He was probably the only person that really knew how much faster it was than when he was fighting professionally. He was pleased he still had the control to pull the punch back yet even as he moved his eyes saw the change in shape on the metal weapon, the twisting of form. He blinked and it was over with studs along the edge reinforcing the tool. Yet that was all there was to it and when Mac returned to stance Evan took a step back as well, his foot sliding across the floor to present his left side. When Mac seemed to be done Evan lowered his arms and his guard as his own posture relaxed in kind.

“Oh uh yeah thanks. I've always been pretty fast I guess.” Evan said.

He couldn't exactly say, oh yeah so I'm way faster than I used to be because I'm a werebear. Hope that isn't a crazy sentence to just throw out buddy. So he went with he must have always been this fast. He scratched the back of his head as he shrugged then pointed a finger toward the rapier to divert attention from himself.

“Did that thing have those rivets on it before?”