Three On A Match
⁂ Third on a match. Meaning: bad luck.

Current Update » May Update
Hotspot » Barbarous Nightclub
Previous Update » April Update

Early Spring

Spring is starting to warm up the chill of winter, with snowdrops and vernal crocuses making themselves known.

Therefore Sheol enlarges its throat - City Mystery

Third on the Match Offline
Raconteur
Calamity

Train Station of the Dead

Introduction

Chapter I: Therefore Sheol enlarges its throat | January 2023

The Upper Fens train station has always been somewhat strange. Practically everyone has a first, second, or third-hand story about it:

"My grandma was at the platform alone-"

"My brother was coming back from a night out, and he saw-"

"-she heard-"

"-they all swear they spotted-"

"Ghosts."

Little glimpses of shades, cold spots, odd sounds, unearthly smells... Train lights for trains that never arrive. People standing on opposite platforms, shrouded in shadows.

There are a few fun urban legends: keeping a little packet of salt in your pocket before heading down to the platform ensures your train arrives on time. The deli at the Fens Field station entrance hates this one. Unfortunately, people keep stealing their little salt packets, so they keep it all behind the counter and have a sign out front that says 'no salt'. Newcomers assume it means to behave. Old townies know they can't get their SIS there.

But all of it can be dismissed as superstition. Right? Odd stories, something spooky to tuck the kids in with at night on Halloween.

Unfortunately, nobody knows everything, not even the people in the know. The most they know is that the subway lines seem to have been built along leylines, either by coincidence or design. One could find this in the libraries of Baxendale and the APL, sorting through old city maps. They know that there are rumours of long-abandoned subway tunnels in the Upper Fens that go somewhere subterranean. They know that sometimes the ghosts aren't just a trick of the eye.

The only truth is that something extra odd is going on in the subway, and it seems to have spread along all the lines. That people are now claiming to have spoken to ghosts. That there are creatures lurking in the far back tunnels. There have been hallucinations of ghostly waters flowing along the tracks, and the sound of a distant bell, tolling the dead.

The Exchange and perhaps some other organizations are on the case, keeping the very strangest things contained or studying the phenomenon, but things always get through the cracks.

Ethereal sightings and encounters abound. Who will venture into the subways to find out the truth?

Chapter II: The grave is licking its lips in anticipation | December 2023

There is a problem in the subways of Easthaven. They’ve always been strange, liminal places. People claim the fabric between worlds is thin, and those especially sensitive to the paranormal claim to see ghostly figures on the platform, or hear things in the darkness of the tunnels. In the past year, it seems the threadbare veil has become a tear.

Stories of trains running into the chthonic riverways of the Underworld abound in the supernatural community, although those who are out-of-the-know have had encounters too. There is one common theme: The underworld is open. For some, the spirits were trying to escape, slip the purview of their shepherds and reenter the living world. For others they slipped into a crack between realities and nearly fell to the Underworld’s tricks.

Fortunately, these events were few and far between--a fact the Exchange is thankful for while they’re out there chasing down the culprits behind the ritual murders. Unfortunately, the problem seems to have escalated.

Instead of errant spirits, there are reports of dark figures standing guard at tunnel entrances. People have seen shadowy creatures leaving the subway and scouring the surrounding streets. People visiting deceased loved ones at Eden cemetery might get the sensation of being watched far too closely, and St. Erasmus' Hospital has had no shortage of strange incidents.

There are enough reports to reach the Exchange and deploying their agents has strained their already thin numbers. Other groups have been made aware of the problem, but things slip through the cracks. Wander the streets at night near any of the five subways or these other locations and you just might meet one of these strange figures. You may learn why they’re there, for better or for worse.

Chapter I

Therefore Sheol enlarges its throat

Chapter II

The grave is licking its lips in anticipation

To participate in Chapter II, you must have participated in Chapter I or join a character who participated in Chapter I.

Chapter III

???

• To participate in Chapter III, you must have participated in Chapter II.

How-To & Rules

• Begin a thread in one of the five subway locations in Easthaven. If you post an open, note it is for the "Train Station of the Dead" event.
  • There are limited threads, so a player should stick to one to two characters for this event.
  • For Chapter I, there is a limit of 2-3 characters per thread.
  • When you feel like it's time for the encounter to drop, submit a Monster Encounter Request and tag @Admin in the #mod-request channel on the Discord. Be sure to note that it is for the "Train Station of the Dead" event.
  • Once you have the encounter, you may solve it with combat, socially, or by escaping.